F-4D-31-MC 66-7773
Front Instrument Panel
The way it looked when I got it.
The original restoration and illumination for the
instrumentation, warning lights, sight/scope and floods.

The MISSILE STATUS PANEL, MISSILE CONT/LABS/WPN
REL OVERLAY and switch are reproductions.
The original stand I made so it sits on a table without
resting on the rear of the instruments. Also the
brackets to mount the scope/site to the panel.  I have
the Center Pedestal Panel, Utility Panel and Telelight
Panel coming. As soon as they arrive I'll be making a
stand similar to the one Bob made for his panel. This
will be incorporated into this stand.
I gathered some real goodies for the panel. I also obtained the 5 Volume TDDR-50E
Electrical/Mechanical Manual for an F-4E.  Most of the Panel wiring is the same as a D.
It was very useful  doing additional wiring for the HSI, AN/ALR-45 and the Missile
Status Panel.
The Real Pieces
MISSILE STATUS PANEL
The READY lights
function through the
SAFE/ARM switch.
WEAPONS PANEL OVERLAY
(Edge lit panel)
Repairing the Overlay was a real challenge. It didn't come out as well as I would have liked but, it's a lot
better than it was.

Safety wire bracket for the SAFE/ARM switch was removed and the holes filled. Weapons release switch
is real.
BEFORE
AFTER
BEFORE
AFTER
MAIN PANEL
CENTER PEDESTAL PANEL
SIDE UTILITY PANELS
The Gear and Flap Indicators are wired through the Landing/Taxi Lights switch. Switch in the up
position, all Indicators indicate UP. Switch in the down position, Gear indicates DWN, LE  indicates
DWN and TE indicates 1/2. Take-off configuration.
July 14, 1967- First flight.
July 25, 1967- Gained by USAF
July 27, 1967- Fly away.
July 1967- 4531st TFW (TAC), Homestead AFB, FL (deployment to
Eglin AFB FL)
Jan. 1968- 4th TFW (TAC), Seymour Johnson AFB, NC (deployments
to Kunsan AB Korea, Kwanju AB Korea, Spangdahlem AB Germany,
Holloman AFB NM, and MCAS El Toro CA)
Mar. 1971- 8th TFW (PACAF), Ubon RTAFB, Thailand
Jun. 1974- 388th TFW (PACAF), Korat RTAFB, Thailand (deployment
to Clark AB Philippines)
Dec. 1975- 8th TFW (PACAF), Kunsan AB, Korea (deployment to
Clark AB Philippines)
Oct. 1978- 8 TFW (WP) (PACAF), Taegu AB, Korea
May 1987- 507 TFG, 465 TFS (SH) (AFRES), Tinker AFB, OK
(Commander's aircraft)
Sep. 1988-89- TFS (DO) (AFRES), Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
October 12, 1989- AMARC AAFP0337, Tucson, AZ.
May 1997- Dropped from inventory as surplus.
May 1, 1997- HVF West Scrap Yard, Tucson, AZ.
May 12, 1997- Fritz Ent., Taylor, MI. Scrapped.....
AN/ALR-45(V) COUNTERMEASURE RADAR WARNING
RECEIVER (COMPASS TIE)
Internal lighting is through pin 1 (G) and 14 (+28V). I ran separate wires into
the unit for power. Power switch lights as soon as power is applied. Others
light when depressed. To light them permanently, you'll have to open the case
and solder jumpers to the back of the switches. Dimmer control also works.
All the original parts were refinished.
The panel display complete and mounted on a stand. I gathered the goodies for the Control Stick with
many thanks to Bob D. for his expertise in Phantom parts hunting and his gimble sketch.
The power supplies, switches and wiring. I used a terminal strip to connect the
power supplies and connectors on the wiring for the left and right sub-panels and
center pedestal. If I ever have to take the display apart, all I have to do is remove the
wires from the terminal strip and unplug the connectors.

The second power supply is 20 VDC to power the right sub panel and the Gear and
Flap Position Indicators.

Everything that I could get to light lights.
ELECTRICAL
COMPLETED PANEL
CONTROL STICK ASSY.
I didn't want to strip the transducer either
and the 30+ years of paint was too much to
sand off. Since the paint was so thick, once I
got under a layer, it was rather easy to chip
off. Then a light sanding, prime and paint.
The side panels were stripped, sanded, primed
and painted.
I didn't want to strip the fiberglass cap but it was rather rough so a heavy sanding,
some filling, more sanding, prime and painted.
Transducer was attached
to a 10" piece of 1 1/2"
diameter steel exhaust
tubing by two flat head
sheet metal screws.
Wood box covered with
22 ga. sheet metal.
All sheet metal was attached to box before being sanded, primed and painted.
Boot is a rear boot I cut apart and modified so it
would fit. I know, my sewing skills leave
something to be desired. It has since been
replaced with a NOS correct one.
Everything was trial fit a
number of times before
commiting to paint.
Click on thumbnail to view
larger image.
Use browser Back button to
return.
The Parts